Thursday, January 10, 2008

Unfortunately, My Problem

Home ownership is among the top major stresses of my life. I remember when we lived with Richard's parents and their water main broke. No one was home for a week. We were all on vacation in Oregon and when we returned the damage was substantial. Among the repairs, they had to replace a section of their cement steps leading to their front door, BUT I could say "Not my problem".

And when their water softener leaked and flooded the basement...Not my problem. Again, when their chimney caught fire...Not my problem. Anytime some major repair was required, I could thankfully recall that it was Not my problem.

Not today. Or the time our water main burst. And not the time our sprinkling system sprung a major leak. I certainly couldn't say anything of that sort when our kitchen leaked that disgusting disposal water and rotted out 2/3 of my cupboards. And funny enough, none of these water problems have anything to do with old plumbing.

We came home tonight around ten o'clock. Richard was still at Bishopric. Gavin was first on the scene and the sound of his panic sent my stress levels climbing. I ran into the kitchen only to find about 6 gallons of water ALL over my kitchen floor. It was puddling around my new kitchen table. It didn't take long for me to realize that the source was coming from under the sink. (Richard had just repaired the dishwasher's hose, we hoped for the last time since it has leaked on us three times in the last several months).

When I opened the cupboard doors, my heart sank. Niagra Falls was gushing from somewhere in that vicinity. I panicked trying to remember how to shut off the water. I found a knob and started turning. Nothing happened. I moved a pitcher located under the sink and immediately a jet of water hit my face. I couldn't see anything, I just kept feeling for something that might work. With the phone in one hand trying to reach Richard's cell, I found a knob that did the trick and all went quiet.

Apparantly the new hose Richard had just installed before dinner decided to split in two. Freak of nature, I guess. My poor, sopping cupboards! I didn't mind the old kitchen being sacrificed to the plumbing, but my new one! I was sick. The fans will stay on all night and hopefully the paint will shrink back somewhat.

I wish I could say this was Not my problem. Instead, it seems to be my problem more often than not. Indoor plumbing...hmmm, maybe the Beans should rethink that one.

7 comments:

Betsy Lee said...

oh... my... goodness!!! How horrible! Is there any damage to the cupboards! I think I would just cry if I saw that happening to my kitchen that I already redid. I hope there isn't to much damage!

Anonymous said...

That is AWFUL! I am so sorry! I hope everything dries out!

Shortcake and Company said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry Carillisa. What a pain. How is it looking today?

DeAnna said...

Your beautiful cupboards!!....Not my problem. (ha ha j/k)

Jenni said...

Ask Laurie about the time Matt and I left her with the kids for the weekend, and the sewer backed up through every available pipe in the house. (We ended up replacing the sewer line, part of the front yard, and the driveway.) Man, home ownership stinks sometimes. I certainly hope your cabinets dry out OK.

onehm said...

That is sooooo sad. I'm so sorry!
I hope that things are airing out and that your beautiful kitchen will return to normal soon!
What rotten luck.

Jenni said...

What ended up happening with the cabinets and the kitchen? Just curious!