Monday, August 25, 2008

And There You Have It

Goals. Goals are good. Triathlons. Triathlons are good. They fit right in with the whole goal thing. What doesn't fit in to this scene is getting a head cold. A serious, achey all over the body - like don't try to be sweet and rub my back because I'll freak out due to sensitive back skin, sinuses too clogged up to allow for blowing and yet seem to drip uncontrollably, sore throat ripping through to your ear drums, and drain all energy from the mother ship, kind of head cold.

Thursday. Wake up with Fire Throat and energy wavers off and on throughout the day. Still able to function.

Friday. Fire Throat still lingers past nine a.m. and energy is almost completely depleted, but that's okay because the bed catches my fall and I don't move until one o'clock in the afternoon. Even then, the only movement is from my bed to the bathroom and back to bed. By Friday night I am feeling a bit better. At least I manage to emerge from the sick bed to do the dishes.

Saturday, August 23rd, 2008. The day I have been waiting for all summer. The big day that I used to push myself under water over and over again. The day I remembered in the back of my head when I felt like bagging the whole swim thing and biking for the rest of my life. The day that haunted me for the entire summer and the day I actually began to look forward to...

And, the day I didn't show up for a triathlon due to inflamed sinuses, lack of mobilization and a head-cold hangover! AND, the day I forfeited a $40 registration fee.

Don't talk to me, I'm still really, REALLY mad.

8 comments:

Jenni said...

Aw, man....That's total crap. I'm so sorry! I'll set up a mock triathalon for you - complete with a finish line made out of crepe paper and everything. I'll recruit Jami to man the water stand.

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry you didn't make it. I was thinking about you that morning. It was actually a pretty good race. I probably could have done a lot better, but there's always next year.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Hey, if you're up to it, let's try for next year...I still would like to have something to work for!

Shortcake and Company said...

That is a major, major bummer. I'm so sorry for you. But, hey! You're in better shape just because of the training, right?

Jami said...

Okay, that sucks so much. But listen, I'm there for you. Let's do Jen's mockathlon next weekend. I'll even fork out for some Gatorade at my water stand.

Jenni said...

Mockathlon...(snort)...man, that was funny.

Becky said...

We MUSH to a triathalon amoungst ourselves. WHEN?

Lees Everything Homemade said...

If Gatorade is provided, that's all I need for extra motivation!

Truthfully though, I feel completely petered out when it comes to major exercising. I think I'm tired...