Friday, March 21, 2008

FFA - A brief intro.


FFA (a.k.a. - Future Farmers of America) is a well known established "club" at Spanish Fork High School. The closest I ever came to being a part of this elite group was when I was secretly nominated to be part of the Harvet Royalty (or in other words the special Ball for all FFA advocates and members, although it was open to the general populous of the school).

In order to be queened, we had to perform random acts of farmness. Like, drive a tractor (in this case a riding lawn mower that looked like a tractor) through an obstacle course; best time won. The girl who could launch a bale of hay the furthest added points to her total. We wrestled pigs, in a pen full of jello, decorated cakes and the grand-daddy of them all - sewed our own aprons. I knew I was the furthest from being crowned queen when I couldn't catch the little piggy, but the day of the apron contest was a deafening blow.

I showed up with a simple plaid apron that looked more like a painting smock. It was trimmed in biased tape and couldn't have taken more than an hour to cut and make (although I wouldn't really know, because I think my mom did most of it). As I entered the room where the other contestants had displayed their goods, I wanted to laugh out loud at my pale comparison (laughing was better than crying). Each girl had created an ensemble any FFA homemaker would be proud of. They were trimmed in ruffles, had yards of fabric for the full twirl, and cute, trimmed-in-lace pockets. You name it - they had it all.

I didn't even win the runner up, but then I never had a fighting chance to begin with. This is why I am pleased to say the new and improved FFA is something I can cope with. There are no rules, no judges and best of all no bacon chasing and apron sewing. Hope you all enjoy what comes out of these free-for-alls.

5 comments:

DeAnna said...

You know what, I was actually nomintated for Harvest royalty once (probably as a joke) and I didn't even try once I heard what we had to do.! Hah! At least you tried.

Jenni said...

I hope you include the pattern for your apron in your upcoming book...

Alli said...

Hey how are you? It is amazing who you'll find on the big world of blogs. I love it! It is fun to see what you are up to. Cute kids.

Becky said...

Ha ha - at least you were nominated. And as far as ruffles and lace - who wants that? on an apron, no less, especially if you have drawers or cupboards that snag. I agree with Marilla. Plain and simple is best! :)

Natalie said...

Hey! You look great, exactly the same as I remember! Looks like things are good for you too! Your kids are so big! I can't even believe it, I don't feel as old as I am, how about you? Keep in touch!!!