Wednesday, March 26, 2008

ENOUGH!

So, I was browsing for dresses online this morning and found this ad. I was humored at first, but after further thought, I am ready to scream...I have about had it! And since this is the best place for me to voice my opinion -here it is:



"Get the hips and bootie you have always wanted:
Bigger
Bubbly
Rounder
Curvier
Raised
Peach-shaped
Extra “Junk in the Trunk”
or at Least J Lo’s, or Beyonce’s Sexy Bottoms"

"Peach-shaped"? So, if your butt is orange-shaped or even pineapple-shaped, you're out of luck in the sexy department?

PEOPLE! Enough is enough! Let us be who we are and have the chance to actually enjoy it without a constant barrage of infomercials and products telling us we can't be happy just the way we are. Has it really come down to this?

It's interesting that my size of 10/12 is this world's version of obese and yet, when I talk to my grandma, she is sad that she has gone from a 14 to a 12 because now she'll look "older". Hooray for Grandma who helps me keep perspective! I am so tired of the never-ending politics around size and image. What's wrong with just covering our nakedness, being happy with it and moving on?

Don't get me wrong - I think eating healthy and exercising are important, but it's time to boycott the products and diet trends that create unnatural lifestyles. Moderation in ALL things. Stop the obsessions!

And I truly do apologize if you own this article of "clothing". I mean no disrespect. I hope you are enjoying your "bubbly, peach-shaped" butt.

11 comments:

Alishia said...

OH now that is funny!! They look extremely uncomfortable! So even if you wanted a peach shaped butt you would be picking at it all day long! :)

Tink said...

I agree, is there hope for the future? Yes, but, we will have to get our own heads straight so we can help our girls see past all the media, including toy lines, and help them moderate dress up time with other uplifting activites. PS Do these pants make my butt look peachy?

Lees Everything Homemade said...

LOL! I am laughing hysterically at these last two comments and Gavin is giving a strange look. Apparently, he doesn't think it's as funny as I do. I knew I shared my frustrations with the right crowd!

Anna said...

Here Here.

Natalie said...

Ok, so I may laugh about this all night, especially your disclaimer at the bottom. You are so funny! I needed a good laugh today since I am so sore from working out I can't even move - sad but true....

brenda said...

oh, i say bring on the chocolate and McDonald's french fries if a bigger but and rounder thighs are what you're after. all kidding aside - that's a high maintenance life style. if you meet a guy with your new improved butt, you're stuck wearing that stuff everytime you see him and then someday - they get married and then she's left with figuring out how to tell her man that her butt and curvy thighs were bought on the internet. so sad. for me.. i'm just sticking to the chocolate - i'm much happier that way. :)

Jami said...

Brenda, I don't know you, but I loved your comment. I never thought the question, "Are they real?" would ever refer to butt cheeks.

And Carillisa, while I am totally with you on this sentiment, I have to say that the pictures just made me laugh so hard. All I could think about was how weird it would feel to have a padded butt . . . well, at least padding that wasn't my own. Would I just want to keep touching it all day, and would that make me look even stranger? And would it bunch up when you sat down?

The whole thing just brought up a lot of concerns for me (sadly, none of which were really consistent with the message you were trying to get across . . .) I really do agree with you, though!

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Jami, my first thoughts were of pure joy and laughter, so I welcomed your response and got a pretty good laugh out of it.

In fact, all of the responses to this post have been very humorous. I've enjoyed them all!

Becky said...

Well, dido. I think it's all been said now - at least anything that I would say. Amen, sista!

Laura F said...

I love it! I actually got sucked in just the other night to the Dove "Campaign for real beauty" website - if you haven't seen the videos there are two on youtube and on the Dove website called "Evolution" and "Onslaught". The second one is a little graphic, but it's good if you haven't seen it. http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/home.asp

Loraine said...

In my day, (30 years ago), it was a "pear shaped butt" we were after. So go figure....don't do anything permanent ladies.
P.S. I too loved the disclaimer and Jami's comment, "what if it moves!" I supposed everyone is used to padded bras; seeing someone's rear end slide around would be - - actually hilarious.