Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Road Trip to Miami!

As some of you may know, a couple of weeks ago I drove with my sister and her baby to Miami, FL. Her little family is going to live there while her husband is in Med. School.

It was fantastic fun and even the 2 1/2 hour backtrack to Macon for a forgotten purse wasn't a damper on the event. We made it to Miami in four days, speeding at 80mph almost the whole way (unless construction was an issue - which it was about 50% of the time. Florida is much worse than Utah when it comes to orange cones and speed signs. Thankfully, no one pays attention to speed limits there either).

And of course, due to the time crunch we didn't have much time to get out and take pictures. Bathroom breaks and a nursing baby were the only allowances we could make. Not that we let that stop us from trying to capture our memorable trip on camera. It's true what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are a few highlights:


Kansas, our first stop for the night.


Umm...not sure. Captures our scenery well though.


Just outside Chatanooga, TN. Restrooms we desperately needed
but were off limits to passers by. The sign said we'd be prosecuted,
so we moved on. I know, I should have risked the prosecution, but Big
Daddy's Fireworks was just around the corner and I'll be honest,
I felt a little squeamish about the whole area. Like maybe a guy in
faded blue overalls and missing teeth was going to come bounding out
of his trailer with a shot gun and stop me midstream. You'd think
all the plastic yard ornaments, tree whirlies and silk flowers in the dirt
would have put me at ease...




A bridge for trains.



This guy was with us for most of the trip. I think we named him Bud.


Georgia Peach.


Expensive and famous art.


Road from Macon to Savannah, which we took twice to retrieve
a purse from Zaxby's.


Savannah, Georgia (historic district). Yup. I ate grits.


Miami, FL in all it's glory and the final destination of our trip!

8 comments:

DeAnna said...

I wish I could have been there...sigh...I love to travel...(as long as I don't barf)

latinlees said...

I'm with DeAnna. I here by dub the next family reunion a giant road trip. We are going to drive from UT to..... some were far and back. The activities will consiste of races, counting semi trucks and seeing who can go the longest before using the bathroom....:D.... or not. But I do love to travel.

Becky said...

Did you purposefully pick the WORST pictures of our trip? I suppose it's good for comedy, but I swear there were prettier pictures to represent our beautiful cross country adventure. Maybe you were really wanting ME to post those pics?

What a FUN memory...I am not in a hurry to leave Miami but I am still looking forward to the drive home!

Jenni said...

Oh, girl...you make me laugh! I think that is the BEST series of pictures from a trip I've ever seen. Not even kidding.

My question is...who exactly was the bathroom intended for? Certainly, no one LIVED there?!?

Made me so jealous for a road trip! Man, I've got to get out more.

Tink said...

This sounds like a fun trip. I do like road trips. Good thing since I get to drive so far to see my family. (Sorry Becky, we're not driving to Miami:))

Laurie said...

Okay, seriously... that was one of the funniest photo series I've ever seen in my life. EVER! The bathroom? HILARIOUS!

Loraine said...

I'm with Laurie. You traveled across the country and got pictures of the freeway? What about the Mississippi and the St. Louis Arch, and all the other STUFF. Ahh, I'm sure it was GREAT! Seriously!

Explore & Grow said...

Cute blog! I love your writing style!