Friday, October 3, 2008

FFA - Saturday Morning Cartoons



As a kid, our Saturdays started at 6am or earlier. Of course, if we woke up too early, we'd get nothing but colored bars on the tv. Not that it mattered. We'd sit and stare at the bars until that eventful minute when the clock struck six. Nothing was better than Saturday Morning Cartoons.

We, my siblings and I, would plan out exactly what we were going to watch on which channel and would have the whole morning of cartoons laid out before Saturday ever even rolled around and the line-up usually went until 11am. By then the "grown-up" shows were on and we had to finally get our work done. We lived, breathed and existed for Saturday mornings.





Some of the favorites, Rose Petal Place, Rescue Rangers, Monchichi's, Fraggle Rock, Gummi Bears, Smurf's, Wuzzles, Jem, She-Ra and Pound Puppies. Of course, Bugs Bunny or Tom and Jerry ruled them all.





And today, I am not even sure if my kids have options on Saturday morning. I seriously wonder if my poor kids will be able to live normal lives and grow into good, upstanding adults despite their deprivation! I mean, if it weren't for Gummi Bears and Jem Star, I wouldn't be who I am today.

4 comments:

Jami said...

Oh man, your Saturday mornings sound identical to mine growing up! Nothing beat the magic of those cartoons . . . even the ones we didn't like that much but watched anyway because nothing else was on.

Jenni said...

I remember getting up on occasion, but for the most part...sleeping in was the cartoon of choice. I think I made it up twice for Muppet Babies.

Yup, I'm convinced that I'm the only girl on the planet that didn't watch Jem.

I do remember watching Bob Ross paint occasionally.

OK, that was embarrassing. I should probably eliminate that line from this comment.....

Laurie said...

Carillisa, I am LOVING all the clips you put up! Oh my gosh, so fun! And the picture of the colored lines on the tv - how had I forgotten that? And the annoying hum that came with it? Oh yeah, we would sit and watch that screen, WAITING for the cartoons to start, always with the volume down low, set on next-to-nothing, so my parents wouldn't wake up and come and make us go back to bed. Oh yeah, good times.

Jen, I totally remember Bob Ross. I think my mother is secretly in love with him (well, him AND Remington Steele). She'd watch Bob all day long if she could, and since I'd rather watch tv (anything on tv, clearly) than, you know ... do my chores ... I spent a lot of time watching Bob paint. Oh, right, and... I didn't watch Jem either. (I wasn't allowed to. Big surprise there. I think it was her punk rock lifestyle that had my mom worried we'd turn out with bushy pink hair if we watched that show.)

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Jem was one of those that we didn't love, but watched anyway. The whole story line on this one is pretty funny actually. I didn't remember it until I went searching for this post. How funny is it to have a whole show where the "bad guy" is a group of "bad rockers" who try to out sing and sabatoge another rocker?

Bob Ross was one of the "adult shows" that came on at 11am. He's the reason we knew the Saturday line up was over. And quite often we watched him to. It was too hard not to get caught up in the hair...