Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Stinging Mad



Gavin called me two days ago because he had been stung three times by a wasp...inside his shoe. He ended up coming home because he claimed his foot hurt too bad to walk. Upon closer inspection, it seemed completely fine to me. I kind of gave him a hard time for being "a wuss" because it has always been my experience that bee stings aren't that big of a deal.

But, the next morning, Gavin's foot had puffed up so much he could barely put his shoe on. Now today, it's red, hot and the swelling has gone up to his knee. Even the little wart on his ankle keeps bleeding because it's been stretched beyond it's capacity and it's hard to tell where his ankle should be. He was pretty embarrassed by it, telling me his foot looked like a "hobbit foot".



Apparently, it's the genetics of the situation and we can even go back to Grandma Bean and blame her. Over-reacting to bee stings is just what Richard has always done and now, it's my kid's fate too.


Alli's hand when she was stung by a honey bee.



Richard's hand when he was stung by a yellow jacket.

7 comments:

Jenni said...

Holy cow! Richard's hand is unreal...

I love that you took pictures of all of that. You just never know when random pictures are going to come in handy for a blog post, huh.

latinlees said...

I hate bees/wasps with a passion.

Loraine said...

OK you guys win the award for best reactions! Gavin, next time your Mom will believe you.

Jami said...

Wow! Those pictures are crazy! And way to document it all! I really need to be better about that. hmmm, where is my camera right now, anyway? . . .

Well, I totally sympathize, though. I got stung on the NECK a few weeks ago, and had this big welt for over a week. It was very attractive, even though I wasn't lucky enough to resemble a hobbit.

Richard Lee said...

Did anyone take a picture of my ear when I got stung? Ever since then I don't give people a hard time for bee stings.

Becky said...

Looks like it could be genetics hitting them on both sides. I swell up like that too.

Tink said...

I agree with Becky. I think they get it from both sides. Poor Gavin, three times!