Monday, September 15, 2008

FFA

Memories of Jr. High

I am going to start off by being brave, and I mean very brave. Pictures often speak more clearly than words, so here's to bravery.

7th Grade: (the days of pink, foam rollers. Only this particular time, I tried a whole head of small braids and then rolled those into the curlers. Quite the look - lumpy, wavy, sort of curly. And the bangs, gotta love the feathered bangs!)

This is the year where my love for Cute Boy began.


8th Grade: (The Scottie Dog pin was a must for this photo - I LOVED it. And who doesn't love the Modified Feathered Bang?)

I developed a love for the mall where I spent many, many hours walking the halls hoping to conveniently bump into Cute Boy. And I remember so clearly the after-school dances (held directly after school) where they played classic songs like "With or Without You" from U2 and everyone stood on the sidelines in tight, huddled groups making it very difficult for some daring boy to break the circle and actually ask a girl to dance.


9th Grade: (I call this my "Kelly Martin" photo - who decided that those abnormally large spectacles were the "in" thing? This is where my bravery takes a peak. This photo has been hidden, stashed and confiscated for the last two decades. I still can't believe I'm posting it on the world wide web, however, it takes a confident soul to finally put something like this on display for all to see - or perhaps I'm just full blown crazy. Yeah, that's probably it because my confidence level just dropped a notch or two since posting this. Poor girl.)

Okay, it's right what they say about Jr. High. It is a never-ending road down to Loserville where the cute, popular boy never speaks to the nerdy girl in saucer glasses.

Despite an obvious indifference on his part, I had worked out a method to my madness by calculating where our classes were and just how slow or fast I needed to walk in order to conveniently pass by him on the way to our next class.

On one particular day, the last bell had rung and the student body was coagulating through the giant, main hall as I was timing my steps just perfectly. It was late in the semester so I'd gotten real good at maneuvering myself within a few feet of him for our last walk out of the school building. I was cranking my neck around to see down the hall behind me to make the needed adjustments in my pace and sure enough, there he was, closer than I thought he'd be and this time he was actually looking back at me! - as if he'd known I was going to be there, as if he were waiting for me.

Our eyes met and for the first time, he didn't turn away. I continued to proceed down the hall without averting my gaze and then...BAM! One of the four giant pillars that kept our school from caving in, jumped out in front of me and stopped me dead in my tracks. It was no small structure, maybe thicker than six of me put together. Not real easy to miss and yet I managed to run right into it, knocking off my glasses and bending them so badly they couldn't be worn. I smacked into it hard enough to send my head ringing and as I bent down to pick up my glasses I looked up to see that Cute Boy was gone, but some other gawking boy was staring at me, laughing. I guess seeing some random boy getting a kick out of my pillar wreck was better than looking up and seeing Cute Boy getting a good chuckle on my behalf.

Ahhh, Jr. High. The Good Ol' Days!

12 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh my gosh, Carillisa, you're kidding me with the embarassment over those pictures, right? (Hi, have you SEEN me in 8th grade? Jiminy... I'm lucky I turned out AT ALL!) You were ADORABLE! And the glasses? You (we) can thank Sally Jesse Raphael for that little fashion move, I'm pretty sure. My glasses were just as big as yours. If my bangs hadn't been big/puffy enough to offset them, I can only imagine how horrible it would have been. Lovin the story about walking into a pillar. Oh my gosh, I laughed out loud. I LOVE IT!

Jenni said...

I'm dying to know who the "cute boy" is...but since we've been outed on the HS blog, I can't blame you for not mentioning it. :-)

I agree with Laurie, however. Seriously, could you be any cuter?!

And I had the EXACT same pair of glasses in the 9th grade. I nearly posted a picture of them myself...

Becky said...

That is one of the funniest stories I've heard IN MY LIFE. I LOVE it...it's definitely up there with your first swimming lesson story if not surpassing it! I had to catch my breath I was laughing so hard. Lauren even asked me what was wrong! :)

Shortcake and Company said...

That is quite the story and pictures. I love the pictures though...I don't think they're bad at all. At least you didn't have bangs that went out of the picture?!? LOL. What a fun post!

Lees Everything Homemade said...

The boy was Peter Shumway. And unfortunately, I had a crush on him my entire three years in Jr. High. If I had branched out a bit in my crushing, I might have had better success!

Melissa S. said...

Hey you had great skin behind those saucer lenses, that's why you won't be seeing my junior high pics on the blog :) I insisted on contacts out of the gate, but also eventually ended up with the oversized rims.

utmommy said...

I love the pictures! What a fun post!

Tiffany Cramer said...

Thanks for being brave. I enjoyed your walk through Junior High. At lease you can pride yourself in the fact that your dad never did your hair on picture day! That was every school picture day for me in Elem. School. :)

Loraine said...

What a flood of memories! All the trips to the mall with Sandra in the van while we listened to the soundtrack of Pretty Woman. And...lest we forget the detour past Peter's. What an adorable girl!

Anna said...

wow!!! Look at those glasses! That's awesome! Great memories!

Jami said...

Carillisa, you are seriously too cute in junior high. You have no complaints, missy. My junior high years consisted of braces, glasses (with the light brown shading at the top of the frames -- who came up with that one???), a schload of freckles, and frizzy hair. I think I win this one. You didn't see me posting any pictures, did you?

And your pillar story was hilarious! At least you were a cute klutz, huh?

Tink said...

I'm glad to see that people are posting again, the summer must be over. So I'm sorry that I wasn't more supportive during your aukward Jr High moments because, I laughed mercilessly when you ran into that pole. Yes I was there. You must not have been too nerdy since I was always a step behind trying to keep up with my cooler older sister:)