Friday, June 6, 2008

FFA

When technology goes too far...



Cosmetic Surgery.

I know there are many cases when this is a wonderful thing. I have seen lots of people benefit from it's applications. My only complaint, and I'll admit, it's a big one, is when people can't leave it alone. Here's some tidbits to nibble on:

In 2007, men and women combined had a total of:

Liposuction 456,828
Botox 2,775,176
Breast augmentation 399,440
Hyaluronic Acid (Hylaform, Juvederm, Restylane) 1,448,716
Eyelid surgery 240,763
Laser Hair Removal 1,412,657
Abdominoplasty 185,335
Microdermabrasion 829,658
Female breast reduction 153,087
Laser Skin Resurfacing 647,707

In 2002, the total number of elective breast augmentations was 32,000 and that seemed incredible to me. 399,440 is unbelievable.

It's quite addictive and why not? If I had the money and could fix every little flaw, I'd be quite tempted. And I am not objected to a little tummy tuck or a possible lift (heck, if I thought Richard wouldn't object too much, I'd probably opt for a fabulous reduction!) And laser hair removal? Sounds good to me, but when I am fifty, I should look fifty. When I'm eighty, I NEED to look eighty. It's just not natural folks! Besides, if we can just be patient - we're all gonna get brand new bodies to flaunt around in.



In my opinion, this technology can easily go too far.

8 comments:

Jami said...

Wow, now those pictures were some good examples of crazies who have let technology get the best of them. Michael Jackson has creeped me out for years, which is sad because I remember back in middle school when Alyse Christensen had pictures of him on her wall (and a red leather jacket like his!), and we totally loved him.

Loraine said...

Those pictures are too much! Literally, it's horrible. I'm glad I'm not famous and think I have to keep my youth to keep my job. Ugh.

Laurie said...

I'm intrigued by the numbers of the tummy tuck vs. the breast augmentation. Huh. The boob job is the surgery you hear about all the time, but it seems that more people (almost twice!) are doing the tummy tuck. This worries me, because I think "people... go on a diet.... change your lifestyle... DO NOT go under the knife if you're not willing to do what you need to do to help your body lose it/keep it off... it'll just be a matter of time before the tummy you had tucked will come popping back out again". Breast augmentations are almost always vanity surgeries (not judging... I'm just saying that unless it's reconstructive, it's a personal choice to have it done - and changing your eating/exercise patterns aren't ever going to really affect that part of your body) - but a tummy tuck? I'm sorry. 90% of the people having that done, I am sure, could have lost the weight in other ways. How lazy we've gotten in our techonology obsessed culture is a little scary to me. (And I'm saying that as a self-confessed fat kid who loves to sit and watch tv while I eat pringles out of a can.)

On another note, I found it interesting that you listed laser hair removal. I hadn't thought of that as cosmetic surgery - but I guess it is. Wow, I've had cosmetic surgery. Who knew?!? (I've had my underarms done. And it's pure heaven.) I'm not at the point where I can justify spending the money to get my legs done - YET - but I haven't shaved my underarms since... Christmas, I think, and it's absolutely fantastic. Is that TMI?

Lees Everything Homemade said...

I very much agree with the tummy tuck theory.

I have had three surgeries that cut my hip to hip and as a result, I have some fabulous skin that sort of just flaps in that abdominal area. I am sure having a couple of kids has added to that excess.

My point: I have thought of having this corrected and smoothed out. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I don't want to until I have done everything I possibly can to remove the excess fat. How am I doing it? Good old fashioned exercise! And who knows, it might just solve the excess skin problem well enough that I won't bother with going under the knife.

It just seems like a waste of $10,000 if it just comes back in a few years thanks to our "laziness".

April said...

Hi Carillisa
I loved reading your blog! You have such a cute family! Thanks for your concern about my little guy! April

Alishia said...

plain and simple...GROSS

Tink said...

I will be the first in line to get hair removal done. The razor burn the prickles, and the ITCHY skin all scream pain to me not vanity. I suppose I could just let the hair grow but, I think that would be considered a little fruity too.
On the other hand all that other surgery is quite a slippery slope. So the question is Are they ever satisfied? I think it's near impossible.

Alli said...

Hey I know the blockers from when we lived in California. We lived in their ward for two years while Mark was in school. Do you know them?