Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mom's Gone Crazy!





The science fair project has been taking up the week's spare minutes. We didn't even think of what we were going to do with the valentine's boxes for school until the night before they were due (common occurance, I'm afraid). This year needs to be be different the kids keep saying. They want something really cool. Not just a box wrapped in valentine wrapping paper with a hole cut in the top. So, we gather supplies to the table. Alli gets paper and stamps while Gavin starts making a check list of body parts for the robot he wants to create. It's already 8:15pm -

The kids went to bed at 9:00pm. That's right, they lasted 45 minutes. Mom continued to work on boxes all the while remembering the fun she had in elementary school doing this sort of thing with HER mother, only she remembered actually doing it together. Then mom called her friend and they talked and laughed at each other because they were both still up working on valentine's boxes after the kids were long gone from being a part of it.

Dad returned home at 10:00pm from meetings and mom was still working. Punching, glueing, stamping, wrapping, cutting, glueing (again)...

Finally, after 11:00pm, the boxes were complete and certainly not cool enough for the time put into them, but isn't that the way the cookie usually crumbles? Mom has only one thing on her mind that late at night and that is, "why does she feel the need to blog this event before she goes to bed?!"

Supplies:

RODNEY ROBOT- shoe box, foil, nerf football, milk lids - one from the jug scrounged from the bottom of the big, stinky, black garbage can outside and the other off the still full jug in the fridge (my kids are going to be waking for bathroom breaks all night from the milk I made them drink in order to use that lid), toilet paper roll (cut in half), pipe cleaners, a sign that reads "Love-O-Meter" (but only if you have a really cool robot-looking font) and a disposable container spray painted black for the hat (and it doesn't matter how tired you think you are, it really is better to wait for the paint to dry before glueing it on top of the football head).

GROOVY FLOWER BOX - shoe box, swirly wrapping paper meant for wedding gifts (any kind will do as long as you use the expensive stuff that really isn't meant for projects such as this), cookie cutter to use as a template for groovy flowers (I don't think I have ever used a cookie cutter for actual cookies...), two different sized circle punches because two is always better than one (and it's important to feel you've got your money's worth out of those punches you rarely use), alphabet stamps and coordinating ink colors to match the paper you've chosen (once again, coordinating will make you feel better about all those stamp pads and paper you have purchased specifically to match your project. Really, despite what you might think, 4th graders do notice those kinds of things).

And there you have it. Now every mom will have the resources to be as crazy as this one, just don't let the sleep deprivation or collosal aftermath deter you.

11 comments:

Jenni said...

Seriously, you crack me up.

The best Valentine's box ever created at my childhood home? My dad helped Lisa make a set of teeth one year. Yeah, they opened up and ate the Valentines. Seriously sweet. Seriously weird.

I have yet to make a Valentine's box as a parent. How I have been this fortunate, I know not. Knock on wood....may my luck continue to hold.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

And Gavin's question to me this morning..."Mom, when do I get my football back?" Are you kidding me? Never! That robot is going into the archives.

Shortcake and Company said...

I loved having cool valentine boxes in school. These are absolutely adorable. I'm so glad you blogged about them. Way to go! Can I call you for help in a year? ;)

Jami said...

Okay, I was just bemoaning the fact that kids don't have to make Valentine's boxes at home any more (at least my kids never have -- they make some little thing at school to put Valentines in).

I loved making those boxes when I was a kid! My older sister Joey always helped me, and man, did she have some creative ideas. Everyone else always had the shoe boxes wrapped in tin foil, but that was never good enough for Joey. One year she helped me make this big phone booth with a phone that was actually attached by a cord. Another year we spray-painted an old boot red (I think it was my dad's, and I'm not sure he knew we were going to do that), and decorated it with sparkles and other Valentiney things. Then the kids just put their Valentines in the boot. Mostly everyone thought that one was kind of weird, but I loved it.

That's my sister for you. She is still like that . . . very creative, very unique. She does NOT like to be like everyone else. So she would certainly applaud your (I mean, you kids') Valentine's boxes.

Alishia said...

OH I love the commentary I can here you laughing to yourself as you are writting the story!! Horray for valentines day!!

Anna said...

Way to go mom!!!! Those are really cute! I see my future there. We did Thomas' box for his preschool party. We got all the supplies out, paint, stamps, markers, etc.... The box ended up with about 10 lines of paint and 5 stickers.

Becky said...

Very cute boxes - Mom did a mailbox for me one year that was so cute. I seriously can't remember ANY of the others! I am sure I will remember you (and Mom of course) when the time comes for me to make them for the girls. :)

Becky said...

side note: WHAT IS Jenni's picture?!

Amanda said...

Those are so darling. What a great mom! I wouldn't have put half that much effort into it. Your kids will probably remember those for awhile.

onehm said...

WHOA! Seriously cool boxes!
You guys are amazing!

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Jen's picture? I am not really sure. I have wondered the same thing...

I'll have to ask her.