Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Joseph Smith Farm and Sacred Grove

Once we got to New Jersey, we took a mini-trip to Palmyra, New York and then to Niagra Falls. The first stop was the Smith Farm and the Sacred Grove.


This was a really cool statue in the visitors center. It's really, REALLY hard not to get emotional. I don't know what it was, but we liked it.



Gavin and Allison in front of the original log cabin with the Sacred Grove in the background.



I didn't realize this, but there are about three miles of trail through the Grove to wander on. We didn't go the full distance, but we had the place all to ourselves. And it looked very similar to what it would have looked like when Joseph was there. Not the leafy greens we are used to seeing. This is what "early Spring" looks like. The trees were just starting to bud out and daffodils spotted the ground all through the Grove.



Alli is pointing to original bricks in Alvin's house where Joseph hid the plates for a time. 80% of that house was still original. Richard's great uncle, Willard Bean, lived many years in that house after the Smith's had moved on. Willard Bean was quite a big name in the history of those sites. When the missionaries giving the tours found out we were Bean's, they were very excited.

4 comments:

Jami said...

I loved seeing these pictures, Carillisa! It totally reminds me of our trip there when I was in Children's Choir. It's really something you never forget. I think that's so amazing that you got to take your kids there, especially at an age when it will really have an impact on them.

I hope we get to take our family there one day.

Shortcake and Company said...

How cool! I think it's so neat to trace back history to your own family. I'm sure this was a trip you'll all remember for many, many years.

Tink said...

It's so cool you got to go on this trip! And, Ali's hair is getting so long.

Loraine said...

I love the pictures. I hope to go there too. I didn't know that about Willard Bean living in that exact house. That must have been especially great to see that place. Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.