Monday, May 12, 2008

FFA - Week #8

Before I get grief for not posting earlier, I want you to know that I tried at least three times. My computer was soooo slow and it just wasn't worth all the effort. I am banking on the "better late than never" attitude.

Topic 8: What do you, or would you, hide from your children?

Let me start by saying this: When I was a little girl, I heard the phrase, "This is too good for children" or "No, you can't have any. You won't appreciate it". And...can I just say - I hated that! I vowed that when I grew up, I was going to let my kids have whatever delicatessan the grown ups were having, whether they appreciated it or not!

That being said, let me share my thoughts on chocolate. I didn't really care for it growing up. I could take it or leave it. In fact, most of the time, I left it. I failed to see the hype all those grown women would make over it. Well, something must happen to the chemistry of a woman's body as it ascends through it's teenage years, because that was then...

Now, I am a firm believer that chocolate, in almost any form, was created by God to make up for PMS. I can honestly say, it makes me feel better, even if only mentally. And my tastes have become more sophisticated as I have gotten older. I don't want that hard, waxy brown served on the outer layer of a candy bar (although, in a pinch, it will do.) I want the real good stuff! (It's not my fault a larger price tag comes with it...)

Remember the vow I made as a child, that I wouldn't deny my kids the "good stuff"? In some ways, I stayed true to that, but let's face it. The truth is, kids DON'T "appreciate it". I changed course on that vow the moment I watched my child pop a treasured truffle (priced at a dollar a piece) into his mouth and swallow it hole, like a dog and a piece of meat. He didn't even taste it or feel the velvet texture as it melted in his mouth! I am not even sure he knew he was eating chocolate.

From that point on, I have hidden my chocolate. Scattered throughout the house are little nooks and crannies where my treasure can be found, but only if you're over 5 1/2 feet tall. It takes skill and stealth to hide my addiction from my children. Sometimes, they'll walk in just in time to catch me shoving a piece down my throat. Then I have to lie about what I'm actually eating. My usual response, through a mouthfull of melting chocolate with traces sometimes dribbling down my chin, "Oh, nofing."

Now, you tell me, which is worse: telling your kids they have to wait until they can appreciate it or lying and hoarding to keep them from wasting your prized possession?


9 comments:

Peggy said...

So, this might make me some sort of communist or something, but I've never gotten the chocolate thing. It's not that I hate it or never crave it (I served a mission in Belgium, I walked PAST the Godiva factory EVERY SINGLE DAY! I consider myself a bit of a chocolate connaiseur--Belgian chocolate is "supposed" to be the best but my favorite by far is Galaxy chocolate from england) I do love a Galaxy bar every now and again, but I've never understood the NEED for chocolate. The medicinal use for it, if you will. I, like you used to be, will usually leave it. Am I weird? Maybe. Don't feel like you ever have to share your snazzy truffles with me. ;)

Lees Everything Homemade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lees Everything Homemade said...

Not weird. I can truthfully say I understand where you're coming from. I really can't explain where my love of it came from. Perhaps it's my sister's fault. She makes really fantastic, homemade chocolates every year for Mother's Day and since then, I find myself loving it. Not craving it, but definately enjoying it when I get the chance.

Jami said...

I have to disagree with Carillisa . . . Peggy, you are weird.

But with that said, Carillisa, I was really laughing at how you get caught occasionally sneaking from your chocolate stash. Man, I can't tell you how many times that's happened to me!

Shortcake and Company said...

I so get the chocolate thing. I too am a hard core chocoholic. Now....if only I knew about the nook and crannies in your home? ;)

DeAnna said...

YES! I have secretly been dying to participate in the FFA Friday's. Consider me in!

Tink said...

Mmmm...chocolate. That picture makes me want one.

Anna said...

That's hilarious. I like chocolate o.k., but I know what you are talking about with the hiding treats from your kids thing (and having them catch you).

Jenni said...

I can sympathize with both Peggy and Carillisa/Jami on this one. My dual personalities have very different opinions on chocolate. Most of the time, I don't particularly crave it. In fact, I'd probably rather have raisins in my cookies than chocolate chips.

But occasionally, my other personality rears her ugly head (like today) and that is the ONLY thing that satisfies her. And it usually has to be satisfied in the form of the chocolate molten lava cake at Chili's.

I can't get over how smart you are to keep all of your hiding places over 5 1/2 feet tall. Seriously, I must be a dunce because that thought has never occurred to me before. Maybe Luke wouldn't have found half of his Christmas presents that way....