Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Bloggers Be Warned

Lately, I have been receiving emails from total strangers that have come across my blogs. I thought, how strange. I personally don't do a lot of blog surfing, but I have checked links that I thought might be old friends and acquaintances. I mentioned blogs to my neighbor the other day and she informed me of something that I think every blogger should be aware of, if they aren't already.

In talking with the wife of an officer at our county jail, she was informed that a lot of those law breakers spend their time learning all about families and kids by what is posted on their blogs. They will study and follow a particular blog and then approach the kids of the family with all kinds of personal arsenal. Truly thinking the "stranger" is a well-known acquaintance, the children will go willingly.

I have thought a lot about this reality in our society. I am frustrated that once again we have to take special steps to ensure our children's safety. I could just quit blogging all together, but it's so nice to keep in touch with family far from home. The main purpose of this blog is to post pictures of my kids and new events in their lives so other family and friends can stay updated.

The reason I post this is not to scare people out of blogging, but to make you aware (as some of you probably already are), of what's out there. My intent is to continue on, but I have had a chat with my kids and explained the reality of potential danger. I haven't yet decided to restrict visitors - I welcome anyone who wants to visit. However, if you are some sick-minded, demented predator reading this---just know that if you come near my kids I will hunt you down and have you tortured in the town square until you finally succumb to the pain and choke on your last breath of life!

7 comments:

Becky said...

Yikes! I would hate to be that predator choking on my last breathe of life! I have thought about that too, and they have some kind of link that allows you to follow who has seen your blog and the trail of sites leading to it. I don't know a lot of the specifics but Marci H. was concerned of the same thing. I have been meaning to look into it more.

Peggy said...

This is all sad but true. which is why my last name and location are NOT posted on my blog! I don't ever want to be paranoid, that is no kind of life for anyone, but I think we all have to be careful especially when it comes to our kids! (Speaking of scary when it comes to our kids, I was looking up my address on Google Maps and I see a picture of the front of my house. With my door open. And my son standing in front of it. How freaky is THAT??

Anonymous said...

Amen sister! You bring up some good points. I am careful not to mention my city or specific dates and plans. I hope and pray that this is enough!

Shortcake and Company said...

I hate that we have to think about this kind of stuff. But, for that reason I've decided to go private. I'm glad I'm on your side and not the town square. ;)

Jenni said...

Good to be reminded - Like Peggy, that's why I have taken off all locations, last names, etc.

Funny, we were just discussing the google thing last night...

Jenni said...

Just a quick thought for any of you who are on goodreads. You may want to check your profile and make sure you've deleted any important information. Many of us have the goodreads widget on our blogs. Just a thought.

Laura F said...

Yikes, thanks for the tip, Jenni! I hadn't even thought of that... but we too took our last name off our blog... I have friends who have gone so far as to codename their kids, but I don't think I could remember them all. :-)