Sunday, October 14, 2007

Poor, poor Lexi


Lexi had a run in with a skunk over the weekend. It was bound to happen with all the time we spend outdoors. We saw the skunk and then Lexi. She went up to it like it was a kitten to play with, smelling and sniffing the way all dogs do. We immediately started yelling her name, but she didn't understand the six different voices frantically calling her and returned back to check out her new friend. With one more scream, I got a response and she reluctantly came.

I quickly smelled her and threw her in the trailer to keep her "safe". Richard went out after the skunk and I checked on Lexi. Darin sniffed her again and without any mistake, she smelled awful! If my original scent of her had been thorough enough, I would have found it too, but alas, I did not and she managed to reek out the trailer in the 53 seconds she spent inside!

We happened to have some old cans of tomato sauce in the trailer. (Who knew that our attempt in emergency preparedness would end up saving our noses?) But now, we can pack for the future, knowing that it takes three whole cans of tomato sauce, lots of shampoo and a few sprays of Super Orange de-greaser to get enough skunk-stink out of a dog to allow for some relief.

Oh, it was a long night! Maybe by next Spring the trailer will have recovered.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Oh dear!!

Betsy Lee said...

Ok, only the second picture showed up for me, so when I read the title and saw red on her I thought she was hurt! So, I'm really glad it was just her being stinky and not hurt, but that still stinks (haha) that she got sprayed!