Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

I had to say a few words in Sacrament Meeting today. (I say "few" because I was the last speaker of 8 women. Do you think I had any time left to speak? I had about -4 minutes when it was my turn which was perfectly okay with me). The couselor in our bishopric asked all the former RS presidents of the 4th ward to talk about service and then wanted to end with the current pres. The first speaker shared a story I thought was cute and I figured since it's Mother's Day I'd share it with you.

When her daughter was about five, she came to her and asked if they could go to Grandma's house. Her mother said, "no, they had ironing to do." The five year old asked her mother if she would pretend to be the grandma and they could talk and play as if they were at grandma's house.

So, they did and after a while of talking back and forth, the child started to get a little silly. Pretty soon the mother stopped her daughter and told her to quit the silliness. With her hands on her hips, the five year old looked her mother straight in the eyes and said, "Now Grandma, you're startin' to talk like a Mamma!"

Her message to all of us today was to remember to be "grandma's" more often and not too much "mamma" all the time.

3 comments:

MarjAnn said...

Cute- I'll have to put that in my brain and try to remember it at the appropriate time!

DeAnna said...

Pretty cute...FYI the food for thought blog saved me again today on my way to the grocery store.

Loraine said...

Being a mother just keeps getting better. Because then you get to be a Grandma! I hope my grandkids have as happy memories of me as I do of my grandmas. And my own mom to my kids.