Monday, September 17, 2007

Service

As we were getting ready to start Family Night tonight, we received a couple of phone calls, both within thirty minutes of each other. One call was asking us if we could please be of assistance in helping someone move and the other was from good friends inviting us to go to a movie with them. After much thought, Richard and I decided we better go help move. After all, it would be a good experience for the kids to do some service, right? While I was preparing a quick dinner, I thought I would call my kids in and ask them what they would do if they were the parents and could have made the decision on what we would do for Family Night.

Gavin was first and after a long pause, he said, "Mom, I would have chosen to help move. They really need our help and maybe we could get a treat afterward." I smiled with parental pride. Good choice Gavin.

Next Allison was summoned into the room to be asked the same question. Without much hesitation at all, she said, "Well, if I were the Mom, I would say 'Let the kids go to the movie with their friends and have the parents do the moving'". I reminded Alli that it was a night where the family is supposed to do things together. In a non-chalent tone of voice, she said, "Well, that sounds like a real problem."

As it turned out, she went without complaint and very happily danced around and posed for us all while we hauled things up and down two flights of stairs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! that sounds like something MY kids would say too, the thing about the movies. Good thing WE are the ones in charge!

DeAnna said...

Ha ha ha lol...sigh...seriously you people with kids don't even know how blessed you are...adults just aren't that funny.

onehm said...

That is just sooo cute! Adorable kids!
I am going to Utah in October and would love to take your family photos!! I'll email you when we have dates finalized!